On 7 November this year, the feast of All Dominican Saints, the Dominican Family throughout the world will begin a year of Jubilee to celebrate the 800th anniversary of the foundation of the Order of Preachers by Saint Dominic de Guzmán. We encourage groups to gather for prayer or liturgies in November. For many this will simply be a gathering of their usual group with a focus on Jubilee 800. We anticipate opening prayer/liturgies at:
- Christchurch: St Mary’s Pro Cathedral, 373 Manchester Street, Christchurch on Saturday 7 November – 11.20am Mass followed by finger food pot luck lunch in the tea room.
- Fielding: St Brigid’s Parish, Fielding on Saturday 7 November – Midday Prayer, followed by shared lunch
- Invercargill: Evening Prayer on Saturday 7 November late afternoon beginning with a procession of lights (candles) from the school over to the Basilica.
- Arrowtown and Queenstown: Sunday November 8th and Monday November 9th there will be Dominican Family celebrations to honour the 800 Year Dominican Jubilee first in the parish at Arrowtown and then at St Joseph’s School in Queenstown.
- Wellington: Sts Peter and Paul Catholic Church, Johnsonville on Friday evening 13 November at 7.30pm – Evening Prayer followed by supper (download Wellington Invitation)
- Auckland: St Dominic’s Blockhouse Bay, Auckland on Sunday 15 November (The Feast of St Albert the Great) from 2.30pm to 4.30pm (in the parish meeting room) (download 2015 Dominican Family Jubilee Opening – November)
- Dunedin: Bishop Colin Campbell will celebrate a Dominican Jubilee Mass in the Holy Name Church at 10.00am on Sunday December 6.
Check the Jubilee 800 page for more information about the Year of Jubilee.
Click here to order a copy of the special Jubilee 800 Calendar.